By German law, you need a valid health insurance from the first moment you arrive in Germany. Please make sure that you are having a health insurance, which covers the move and the first days in Germany, until you take out a health insurance that covers the whole period of your stay.
There are two types of health insurance in Germany: The statutory health insurance and the private health insurance.
• The statutory health insurance
If you are having a contract and an annual salary below 57.600€ you have to take out the statutory health insurance.
• The private health insurance
- MPI scholarship holders must take out a private health insurance.
- If you are getting your stipend from the MPI, you must take out a comprehensive health insurance defined in the MPI guidelines.
- If you are not paid by the MPI, you can choose a cheaper private health insurance, but please keep in mind that many treatments will not be covered.
Keep in mind:
- The scope of benefits provided by private health insurances varies significantly, and so does the monthly rate. Closely check the benefits of your health insurance before signing the contract.
- The International Office will provide more information and help to arrange contacts. For questions, please contact:
- Mrs. Bärbel Metzger (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mrs. Dorothee Klink (email@example.com)
- Mrs. Maike Trost (firstname.lastname@example.org)