Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Tübingen
Solid State Research & Material Sciences Structural and Cell Biology Computer Science
(Ref. Nr.: 27.17.)
Type of Job
EDV & Informatics
Job offer from May 16, 2017
The Perceiving Systems Department at the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems in Tübingen is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Systems Administrator with strong technical knowledge of server, storage, and backup solutions, and considerable experience with installation, configuration and monitoring of software, hardware and network systems. You will provide technical and administrative support for the IT infrastructure and computing needs of a diverse group of researchers at Max Planck.
The MPI for Intelligent Systems is one of the world's leading research institutions for machine learning, computer vision and robotics, studying the concepts of intelligence and autonomous behavior in artificial systems. We offer an interdisciplinary, open research environment among international staff, with connections to institutions within and outside of Germany. We have exciting research problems, state-of-the-art hardware, and custom software for vision and graphics.
Information about our department and facilities can be found here.
- install, maintain, and manage workstations and handheld devices (Linux, OSX, Windows, iOS), file and compute servers, departmental networking, backups, email and remote access for researchers, students and staff members
- plan and purchase new hardware and software; proactively recommend future updates
- create, maintain and monitor computer user profiles for all department members and outside collaborators working with the department
- maintain a secure web-hosting environment, including hardening and management of applications and services in a DMZ environment
- manage software across multiple server platforms: including local compute servers and cloud computing resources (Amazon AWS)
- design and manage on-site and off-site storage systems in the order of 100s of Terabytes
- manage video conferencing hardware and software
- maintain and support departmental printers, including large format poster printers
- monitor and respond quickly and effectively to requests received through the IT helpdesk
Additional responsibilities may include:
- help support various specialized systems including motion capture, synchronized video capture, 3D scanning, among others
- deploy scalable system administration and monitoring tools
- coordinate with other system administrators on campus and other Max Planck institutes; provide support cover for holiday/illness
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent qualification/experience.
- Proven performance as a system administrator supporting a user base of more than 20 employees.
- Comfortable working both autonomously as well as collaboratively in a team.
- Strong written and spoken English & German. The common language of the department is English.
You will work together with scientists in the Perceiving Systems Department and related teams in order to support our computing infrastructure. This is a full-time position. An initial contract will be offered for 2 years.
The Max Planck Society is committed to employing more handicapped individuals and especially encourages them to apply. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
The position will be open until filled but priority will be given to applications received by June 7, 2017. Please send your application, preferably in English, quoting the reference number 27.17. via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you prefer to send a hardcopy application, you may do so. Please address it to
Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems